Wednesday 3 October 2012

School. Yeah!!

In this post I'm going to talk about one of the things that bothers me about Ontario.  That is Liability And Insurance Rawr.  See! it's a cool acronym that spells something  :) .  I'm mostly just saying that whenever some student decides to do something of questionable wisdom and hurts themselves doing it, it means that there is automatically one more rule put in place to prevent whatever they did.  This phenomenon is not present here.  These are some pictures of what French kids get to do in labs.
 





I think it's also because schools are underfunded, but honestly, I'm beginning to question that.  Do you know how many smartboards I've seen here?  Zero.  How many cool lab experiments have I done?  Five.  At least.  How is it that a school can be too poor to afford <insert complaint here> if it can afford to replace perfectly functional projectors with 4500$ touchscreen smartboards?  (the price is random, I don't know what model is in our school)

The labs I've done here remind me more of the labs I did on a field trip to Laurentian than the ones I've done in SSS.  These pictures are from biology class, and we did a very similar gizmo in SSS that actually came out with different results.  In this experiment we subjected chlorophyll to white light, which was then filtered by red, green and blue coloured filters.  We measured the O2 and CO2 in the air surrounding the chlorophyll as we changed filters.  We didn't control for temperature which I think may have been the reason for the difference in result between the two experiments.  It was really cool and very enjoyable.  The kids who take science here usually get 2 or 3 labs a week.  3 is if you take a SPE course, which is over and above normal courses.  I wish we could have one lab like this a month, that would be really cool.
-That's it for now, I'll post on the weekend :)

No comments:

Post a Comment